Saturday 26 January 2013

Cover for Schleich Stables.

Happy New Year everyone!

Here is my latest project.    I decided that since our wet season arrived here in the tropics, and is pounding down on my nice wooden stables,  that I would make a fabric cover  to help protect it from the humidity.  


Stage one.   I got some material and with the hot iron pressed on some soft stuff.    I gave the measurements of the stables to Jo in Quilters Blessing, Aitkenvale, and she sold me the right amount of material for the job.
Stage Two.   I looked around my thread stash and got out some maroon, and black and brown for the horses, and the planks.
Stage Three.   I drew up a design which I got inspiration from this little glass thing I found in the 2nd hand store some time ago.



Stage Two.   Put in the pailings.  and on a separate peice of material,  (I am using weavers cloth here),  get your punch needle and make some little topiary trees in pots to put out the front.
NOTE:  Make sure that you put in trees which are not poisonous to horses.  ( just in case one of your horses has a long neck and decides to have a quick nibble when your not looking! )


Here are some links on punch-needle embroidery, and there are many more.   Even on YouTube.   It's very easy and just like pencil coloring in, except, using thread instead.


Punchneedle Punch Needle Embroidery Lesson - Mysimplewalk ...
How to Make a Holiday Punchneedle Ornament - YouTube

It originated in Russia.    It's a very old art but coming back into fashion,  and gives such gorgeous results.
Here are my trees, still inside the embroidery hoop.    with punch-needle, you need a hoop which has an attachment that makes the surface your working on, a little higher, or you'll end up with the needle through your leg or something.  or holes in the table!    This hoop and attachment is Clover brand from Japan.

********keep checking back for more updates as the work progresses.   I'm still deciding on how to do the pots.  any ideas?  please suggest them to me!   Leave a comment.*******






No comments:

Post a Comment